No not me...what you thought adults don't get acne or you didn't have acne as an adolescent but bummed because you do now.
You are not alone - adult acne affects 25% of all adult men and 50% of adult women at some time in their adult lives...in their 20s, 30s, 40s and beyond.
Adult Acne Causes
Acne is a medical condition and there are many myths about what the culprit is - consuming chocolate, caffeine, greasy foods or not washing enough. Truth be told, no one knows exactly what causes it, but most experts agree there are several related factors that may aggravate the condition including:
- Certain Drugs (e.g., lithium, steroids)
- Certain Comedogenic Products (pore clogging)
Acne Scars and Treatments
The good news: In most cases, adult acne can be successfully addressed with the right treatments and medications.
Acne can often lead to permanent skin damage and scarring commonly known as acne scars. However these can be removed. The treatment depends on the severity of the scars. Here's a snapshot.
- Mild to Moderate Scars: Injectible Fillers such as Restylane and Juvederm and Chemical Peels - which are sometimes combined with Microdermabrasion.
- Moderate to Deep: Laser treatments such as Fractional Laser.
- Severe (large number of deep acne scars): Surgical excision combined with a series of dermabrasion treatments or aggressive peels.
Whatever you do, the first and most important thing is to consult with your dermatologist in determining what the best regime is for your skin.